Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Week Before the Long Weekend

Monday I went to school and Katka and Misa went shoe shopping. Misa found the coolest shoes here, retro high-tops with a hidden wedge heel inside. So after work I walked down to the shopping area between George and Pitt streets next to Darling Harbour to meet them. We had a snack at Pizza Hut before heading home for chicken, ham, and cheese stuffed pastries. Needless to say I am having trouble keeping my weight down here, even though we walk everywhere.

Tuesday I stayed home and so I could get my hair cut and we could go to Ben & Jerry's for free ice cream day. Then Misa decided that instead of waiting in line for ice cream we should just go some day when it wasn't free and buy it. We decided to do the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb instead. Basically you walk up to the top of the arch on top of the bridge and back. Except by the time we got to the bridge we were already tired and it was hot. So we walked into our new favorite part of Sydney, the shopping area between Pitt and George streets, on a quest for Pop Tarts.

Even though in California I would never buy Misa Pop Tarts just to eat at home they are hard to find here and kind of a delicacy, so off we went to a convenience store I know of that sells Pop Tarts, American cereal, and American peanut butter, including the infamous Goober Grape and Goober Strawberry.

We had fun wandering, just looking in the shops, cutting through the Strand Arcade from George to Pitt street, and finally settling on Cookies and Cream Pop Tarts; so I guess you could say we actually got our ice cream after all. (Actually I did, because I tried the McDonalds 30 cent ice cream cone. It is the only thing that costs less in Australia than in he USA. It isn't actually worth much more than 30 cents, as it tastes sort of like Cool Whip.) For supper we went to Chatswood for sushi. It is one of those places that has the sushi going around the room on a conveyor belt and you grab what you like as it goes by. They even have several items that I like, too many even to have one of each in a single meal. As there is food constantly in front of me to grab and eat, I quit eating when the hassle of eating with chopsticks is greater than the enjoyment I am getting from the food.

Wednesday Misa went to school with me for homeschool and to watch her shows. We met Katka in Darling Harbour for supper and a walk around the harbor. It was a beautiful, warm evening. The past two weeks have been the best weather of all the time we have been here. What was one of the wettest summers in recent memory in Sydney has turned into one of the most beautiful autumns. The ferry ride back to our apartment was a perfect ending to the day.

Thursday I was at work all day, while Katka and Misa did homeschool and visited the Botanical Gardens. Fr supper Katka made an awesome chicken wing and potato dish, which we followed with Friends, Modern Family, Friends, and Modern Family. We can't wait for "The Voice" to start here on Sunday now that My Kitchen Rules is over.

Tomorrow is Easter Friday, then comes Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, and Easter Monday. Except in Tasmania, where they also have Easter Tuesday. They have an Easter Bilby here instead of the Easter Bunny, and I'm not sure what day he comes to hide the eggs anyway. Not that it matters, because we couldn't find white eggs to color, so we colored the brown ones they sell here. Somehow Misa managed to make all of the colors work except purple, which turned the brown egg even darker brown. If it wasn't so much fun it would be sort of depressing. We have all sorts of activities planned for the long weekend, but I don't want to jinx it by writing about them now. You'll just have to wait for our next update to see if we made it.